MCGF and Equity Resources
Both federal and state laws require that there be no discrimination in educational programs or in school hiring practices on the basis of race, national origin, color, religion, creed, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and marital status. Districts are required to implement multicultural, gender-fair approaches to the entire educational program. The role of the Equity Committee is to provide assistance to schools in these matters.
MCGF (education related questions)
Equity (employment related questions)
Equity Committee role:
- Disseminate information to our schools and AEA staff
- Identify resources and contacts for schools regarding educational equity topics
- Provide professional development about equity Issues for school district and AEA staff
How do we accomplish this?
- Regular Equity Committee Meetings
- Providing workshop opportunities for Equity Coordinators and school staff
- Provide assistance to schools for site visits and Equity-related matters
- Regular email communication with Equity Coordinators
- Provide resources in AEA Media Center for school use
- Offer summer professional development
- Link Equity Coordinators and school staff with web resources
- Equity Education (IA Dept of Education)
- Midwest Equity Assistance Center (MEAC)
- Multicultural Pavilion - EdChange
- Teaching Tolerance
- Diversity Iowa
- Section 504 - GHAEA
For more information, visit the GHAEA Equity Resources website.